a large earthenware vase
a rare and large earthenware vase, 58 cm high, painted with a porcelain pattern of a bird on a branch amidst stylised poppies against a sprayed mintgreen background, model 175. Marked with the painted factory mark , 175/309 and monogram R.K.
Zuid-Holland Pottery Factory
Founded in 1898, the Zuid-Holland Pottery Factory, more commonly known as ‘Plazuid’, was the first and biggest factory in Gouda to start producing decorative earthenware. Over the course of its long existence, the factory produced a large diversity of earthenware, but it is renowned for its P-decors and for the ‘Rhodian’ glaze.
In the early years, Plazuid manufactured mostly decorative earthenware with a shiny glaze and a decoration of exotic flowers, applied symmetrically. Following the example of the eggshell porcelain produced by Rozenburg, Plazuid started developing the P-decor. Instead of using porcelain, they applied the delicate decorations to a white earthenware base. Willem P. Hartgring, who had previously been employed at Rozenburg, innovated the P-decors in 1907/1908 and called them NP (New-Porcelain). He also developed the MB (matte-flowers) and MV (matte-birds) decors.
D. Harkink developed the ‘Rhodian’ glaze in 1909, applying the decoration in one go on the pre-fired mat glaze, and then baking the product in its entirety. He combined this technique with decors inspired by early Islamic earthenware, as can be seen in the “Damascus” and “Rhodian” decors. Many ceramic artists were let go in 1927 due to the economic crisis and Plazuid switched to producing household earthenware.