a luster glazed earthenware vase
decorated by Dirk Gijsbert Bordewijk with fish and flowering aquatic foliage against a cream ground, printed factory mark with painted mark ONTW: C.J. LANOOY and monogram D.G.B. High 30½ cm, 12 inch.
On loan to the Gemeentemuseum Den Haag for the exhibition ‘Art Nouveau in The Netherlands’, 21 April till 28 October 2018
Haga Purmerend Pottery Factory
At the start of the twentieth century, Purmerend was an important centre of Dutch Art Nouveau earthenware production. One of the most influential factories was Haga Pottery Factory. In its short three years of existence, the factory excelled at creating sculptures and producing decorative earthenware.
In 1904, Haga was a joint venture of Haga Terracotta and Earthenware Factory from The Hague, who owned the designs made by H.F. Antheunis, and the N.S.A. Brantjes & Co. from Purmerend. In addition to earthenware vases, pitchers and jugs, the factory produced plastic artifacts based on models and figurines designed by H.F. Antheunis. Acclaimed sculptors like Henry Texeira de Mattos and A.F.H. Falise have designed sculptures for Haga.
The technical director Gerrit Offermans, who had previously been employed at the Porceleyne Fles in Delft, and would go on to establish St. Lukas Utrecht, was renowned for his perfectly executed luster earthenware. Under Offermans’ watchful eye, Chris Lanooy was able to experiment with and specialize in the use of luster glazes. The luster glaze was applied to vases with simple forms and a light base, decorated with flora and fauna inspired by Japanese art. Another important employee at Haga was Chris van der Hoef, whose simple but beautiful decorations were often applied to both decorative and household earthenware. Haga was acquired by the Amstelhoek Earthenware Factory in 1907.